The People’s Health Movement has a vacant post of a part Time Communication and tech mobilization manager.
People’s Health Movement South Africa (PHM SA) is the South African Chapter of the People’s Health Movement, a global network of grassroots activists, civil society and academics, predominantly from low and middle income countries. PHM-SA was started in 2003 by a small group of health activists, and launched in 2007 with its Right to Health Campaign.
PHM’s believes that health is a social, economic and political issue and above all a fundamentalhuman right. Health is primarily determined by the political, economic, social and physical environment and should, along with equity and sustainable development, be a top priority in local, national and international policy-making. Therefore, PHM-SA does not limit its work to advocating for improved healthcare services for all. It also works with communities and civil society organisations to improve the social determinants of health (SDH).
While PHM SA is active in Cape Town, Gauteng, KZN and Eastern Cape, the secretariat of PHM SA is based in Observatory, Cape Town.
We are looking for a Health Activist with strong writing and social media skills and interested in learning new communication technology for community mobilising. You will join our team in Observatory for two days a week and your main responsibilities will be to write articles and statements reflecting a PHM analysis of current health issues in South Africa and to disseminate such across social media. In addition, you would need to be sufficiently tech savvy in order to manage interactions with members by SMS, email and other technologies for which you will be trained by PHM. This will include consultations to collect community views on current health topics so that PHM can support community mobilisation and to advocate for people-centred health. The starting date is as soon as possible and it will be for a part time fixed term contract until June 2018
PHM SA is involved in a pilot project together with Grassroot SA and Amandla.mobi. They will develop a tool for organisations to use cell phones for organising, mobilising and campaigning. You will be managing the collaboration with Grassroot in the development of such tool ensuring it is user-friendly in the PHM SA context.
- Development of statements and articles on relevant and current health topics (including the social determinants of health) reflecting the PHM analysis;
- Manage community journalist and interns who will produce articles and other content.
This will include basic editing;
- Dissemination of PHM positions through social media and other communications channels;
- Managing and improving social media profiles;
- Leading online discussion groups (WhatsApp and website) on health topics;
- Managing the new communication technology in collaboration with Grassroot SA;
- Managing SMS consultations on relevant health topics;
- Driving PHM SA’s communications strategy including taking advantage of electronic tools and social media.
- Interest in health and social development issues.
- A degree in Social Science, Journalism or related field;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English.
- Proven ability to write statements for publication into newspapers/magazines.;
- Affinity with web-technical work and interest to be trained into web-technical skills;
- Strong social media skills;
- Willingness and ability to attend evening meetings as PHM SA work mostly with volunteers;
- Demonstrably high level of computer literacy in MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and email.
- Driver’s license and able to travel in Western Cape and occasionally elsewhere in SA;
- Although not required, the following would be advantages for an applicant:
- Experience as a community health activist;
- Have your own computer/ laptop.
- Have a Masters degree in Public Health
- Ability to work in multiple SA languages;
- Experience in editing other people’s articles;
- Experience in Website development;
- Critical and creative thinker
- Excellent writer
- Attention to detail
- Tech savvy
- Able to work in team
This position is a fixed term position till June 2018 year only. PHM SA offers an inspiring working environment and competitive compensation.
To apply send your CV with 3 contactable references and a cover letter outlining how you meet the requirements listed above to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 18 September 2017.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. PHM-SA reserves the right not to make an
Applicants who have not been contacted within 10 working days after the closing date of this advertisement should regard their applications as unsuccessful.